A short-term, hands-on experience developing life skills, leadership, and Christian faith.
A high-intensity collaborative where young artists direct and perform alongside inmates
- Full-scale production integrating music, dance, theatre, and spoken word
- Inmates empowered to effectively share hope through Christ with fellow inmates
- Artistic processes that build confidence, resilience, and empathy
- A team of up to 30 inmates led by 4-5 outside artists
- 50+ hours of community, rehearsal & discipleship in a 2-week period
What are our objectives?
- Develop pro-social skills of confidence, resilience, empathy
- Strengthen Christian faith through living, learning, and serving in Christ-centered community
- Combine art & faith to bring healing and initiate change
- Discover & restore human dignity in a people rejected by society
- Develop techniques for effective ministry in a high-stakes environment
What are the results we have achieved?
- 100% reported discovering new interests or abilities.
- 100% reported gaining a new perspective on other people.
- 100% reported being equipped to be more successful in a job in the following ways:
- More confidence in my abilities.
- New positive outlook in ability to work with a variety of people.
- More confidence to try new things.
- More understanding of different kinds of people.
- 100% reported an increased desire to serve.
- 100% reported increased understanding of the marginalized.
- 100% reported gaining many new skills.
Seeing the women break out and do things they didn’t think they could, and seeing them take ownership of their performances and truly make them their own as they served their peers were highlights of the Workshop for me.
Azusa Pacific University (‘15)
2018 Dates & Locations
State Correctional Institute, Frackville (Frackville, PA) – men’s prison
February 18 – March 3
Rose M. Singer Center, Rikers Island (Queens, NY) – women’s jail
State Correctional Institute, Huntingdon (Huntingdon, PA) – men’s prison
July 22 – August 3
Riverside Correctional Facility (Philadelphia, PA) – women’s jail
August 27 – September 9
State Correctional Institute, Dallas (Scranton, PA) – men’s prison
October 21 – November 3
Philadelphia Detention Center (Philadelphia, PA) – men’s jail
How can you host a workshop?
Workshops are tailored to meet each facility’s needs and requirements.
To discuss hosting a Workshop, contact- Jeffrey Bohn (Email: email@example.com)
The change in the Workshop participants is remarkable – they hold themselves differently, the negative side that only we get to see, is gone.
– Major Marcella Moore
Deputy Warden of Security
Riverside Correctional Facility (one month after the Workshop)